Drainage Solutions for Better Water Management
Everyone knows that the land needs rain, but everyone also knows that you don’t want that rain water to end up in your basement. If your home doesn’t have appropriate drainage solutions in place, you are susceptible to significant damage from basement flooding. The professional Lexington waterproofing and drainage system experts at United Structural Systems can recommend the exterior and interior solutions that are best for your home.
Exterior Solutions include the following:
- Yard Grading: It is important to make sure your yard is not sloping toward your home. Completing this regrading step will ensure that water will drain away from your home’s foundation.
- Gutter System: A simple gutter system will make sure that any water that lands on your home’s roof will be directed away from the foundation. It is important to make sure that the gutter remains free of leaves and anything that can clog it, removing the effectiveness of the system.
- French Drain: These drains assist in reducing the hydrostatic pressure around the foundation. This method is beneficial when it is not possible to change the grade of the soil away from the home.
- Footing Drain: This solution involves installing a pipe around the foundation’s footing, which will direct the water away.
Interior Solutions include the following:
- Sump Pump: Consists of a sump pit in your basement, and when the pit fills with water, the pump activates.
- Vapor Barrier: Plastic sheets are placed on the foundation walls to prevent water seeping through.
Even from light rains over time, if there are no drainage and waterproofing systems around your Lexington home, you could be looking at expensive repairs to your foundation. Do you need interior or exterior drainage solutions for your home? United Structural Systems’ Lexington waterproofing and drainage system experts can provide you with a free assessment to determine the best solution to solve your drainage problems.